She is 12yrs old is in year Primary 7 at school. She is at Mityana Public Primary School and hopes to go to Mityana Pride Secondary School next year. When she finishes school she would like to become a doctor.
In Uganda education is only compulsory up to the end of Primary 7 and education is only free if you attend a Government run school.
Children only progress from one year into the next if they pass their exams each year so it is not uncommon to find a wide variety of ages in the same year of school.
She receives the following support from Mityana Community Development Foundation (MCDF):
- • Financial help with her school fees
- • Library – she uses the library regularly to develop her reading skills & help her with her school work. This year she is one of only two pupils at her school sitting her exams to go to secondary school.
- • ICT suite – she had never had access to or used a computer until the ICT suite provided by MCDF was opened. She is now learning to type and learning how to use the internet to help her with her studies.
- • Scouting – together with her classmates she attends the Scout group based at her school.
- • Beat the Bugs, Stay Healthy – she & her classmates have received lessons on hygiene, cleaning their teeth, & healthy living as part of this educational programme provided by MCDF to local school.
The hospital serves the town & surrounding district, a total population of nearly 300,000. The hospital has only approx 70 beds.
The hospital and local village health centres receive the following support from Mityana Community Development Foundation (MCDF):
- • Medical Supplies – MCDF donates basic medical supplies such as clean needles, syringes and dressings to the hospital each year.
- • Equipment – MCDF has provided autoclaves for the cleaning of surgical instruments, baby weighing scales, BP monitoring machines.
- • Beds & Mattresses – MCDF is currently undertaking a programme to replace all the mattresses with new ones that are easy to keep clean & with a longer lifespan.
- • ICT Suite – they use the ICT suite to access the internet for healthcare related information to further their medical knowledge and skills.
- • Beat the Bugs, Stay Healthy Training – to help improve hospital hygiene.
- • First Aid Training.
- • Refurbishment – MCDF is undertaking a programme to clean & redecorate the hospital. To date the Children’s Ward, Theatre, Men’s Ward & Maternity Unit have been completed.
He is a teacher at one of the secondary schools in Sekanyonyi sub-county – an hour’s drive north of Mityana.
He receives the following support from Mityana Community Development Foundation (MCDF):
- • Library – he uses the library regularly to help prepare his lessons plans and encourages his students to visit the library too to further their knowledge.
- • ICT suite – he uses the internet to help plan his lessons.
- • Beat the Bugs, Stay Healthy – his school has received lessons on hygiene, cleaning their teeth, & healthy living as part of this educational programme provided by MCDF to local schools.
- • First Aid Training – he has attended First Aid Workshops provided at the Community Centre managed by MCDF